Students, faculty and staff at the College of Charleston are all invited to a once-in-a-lifetime celebration on Rivers Green later this month in conjunction with the upcoming total solar eclipse.
President Glenn F. McConnell ’69 says members of the College community (students, faculty and staff only) are invited to witness the celestial phenomenon at the green space behind Addlestone Library from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 21, 2017.
“Come witness history and enjoy eclipse-themed activities, educational displays, expert commentary and special guests,” says McConnell. “Light refreshments will be served. We’ll have plenty of CofC-branded eclipse glasses available so that everyone can safely enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime spectacle.”
CofC-branded eclipse glasses will also be available at locations throughout campus beginning Aug. 16.
The College viewing event will be just steps from NASA’s broadcast headquarters for the solar eclipse.
To ensure that all attendees can safely enjoy this event, please be aware of the following guidelines and restrictions:
- This event is not open to the public or to guests and family members of CofC employees.
- A valid CofC ID will be required for entry.
- Attendance will be capped at 1,500 people.
- No pets, except approved service animals.
- No coolers, chairs, blankets or large umbrellas. (Water, misting fans and shaded areas will be available.)
- The College observes a strict no alcohol and drugs policy. Any person determined by College personnel to be impaired will be removed from the premises and prohibited from participating in the event.
- Backpacks and bags will be subject to inspection.
- Consent to be video recorded and/or photographed by NASA TV, news media or documentary crews is implied by attendance at the event.
- Access to Rivers Green will be restricted beginning at 10 a.m. on eclipse day.
- No handheld signs or banners.