The College of Charleston will be closed on Friday, Jan. 5, 2018, due to continued severe winter weather conditions and the announced closure of Charleston County government services.
Only faculty and staff members identified as essential personnel (primarily those in the areas of residence life, food services, public safety and physical plant) should report to the downtown campus on Friday, Jan. 5. If you have any questions regarding your work schedule, please contact your supervisor/division head.
Please note the following:
- Residence halls are open. Students can move in whenever they feel that they can safely return to campus.
- Food service will be limited on Friday. However, Liberty Street Fresh Foods Company (on the corner of St. Philip and Liberty streets) will be open between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. on Friday. Note: this dining facility is open Thursday (until 8 p.m.).
- Orientation sessions are now scheduled for Sunday, Jan. 7 (between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.). New students and families registered for orientation should monitor their emails for updates regarding the modified schedules for these Sunday orientation sessions.
- Cougars athletics: the women’s basketball game (vs. Hofstra) is still scheduled for Friday night at TD Arena. Please visit cofcsports.com for a possible new tip-off time.
- Please note: Significant snow and ice remains on campus sidewalks and thoroughfares, so please use extreme caution when navigating campus walkways and outdoor stairways.
- Given that the campus offices and departments will be closed on Friday, Jan. 5, students will be able to take care of routine needs on Monday, Jan. 8.
College officials will continue to monitor weather conditions and will update the campus community, if necessary, via CougarAlert regarding any further changes to the College’s operations and work schedule. At this time, it is expected that spring semester classes will begin, as scheduled, on Monday, Jan. 8, 2018. Please check local media and National Weather Service bulletins for the latest updates.