Teal Day is kicking off Sexual Assault Awareness Week at the College of Charleston on Monday, April 2, 2018, with Cougars donning teal clothes and ribbons to show their support for bringing this often-taboo issue to the forefront.
Organized by a committee of CofC students, survivors, staff and faculty members, Sexual Assault Awareness Week is April 2–9 and aims to empower survivors and advocates and promote the resources available to members of the CofC community.
Senior marketing major Kallie Golicher serves as director of the event, and the committee is made up of nearly 30 students, including Chakeem Blake, Lauryn Eason, Bailey Jackson, Delaney Jones, Thomas MacNamera, Leanna Narcho, Elizabeth Parrish, Josh Roller and Marissa Small-Towns. It has partnered with numerous CofC departments and offices, including the Office of Victim Services, the Women’s and Gender Studies Program and the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs.
The committee is also reaching beyond the campus community, partnering with People Against Rape and teaming up with the students from South Dakota School of Mines and Technology for a fundraising initiative that will support Childhelp Charity and the Charleston-based Dee Norton Child Advocacy Center, a trauma center that strives to prevent abuse, protect children and promote healing.
In addition to the week-long clothing and poem display in Rivers Green and the Addlestone Library, Sexual Assault Awareness Week includes the following events and activities:
Monday, April 2
- ALL DAY – Teal Day! Wear teal clothes and wear a free teal ribbon to show your support.
- ALL DAY: Sexual Assault Statistic Display, Cistern Yard
- 3–7 p.m. – Feminism in Motion, a showcase by students in the Women’s and Gender Studies Program, Alumni Center
- 6:30–7:30 p.m. – It’s Your Place: Bystander Intervention for Sexual Assault, Stern Student Center, Room 201
- 6:30–7:30 p.m. – How to Support a Friend, Stern Student Center, Room 205
Tuesday, April 3
- 10 a.m.–2 p.m. – Sexual Assault Resource Tabling Event, Cougar Mall
- 6:30 p.m. – Sexual Assault Prevention Panel, School of Science and Mathematics, Room 129
Wednesday, April 4
- 10 a.m.–2 p.m. – Charity Bake Sale, Cougar Mall and Rivers Green
- 8 p.m. – Charity Dodgeball Tournament, Johnson Center gym (sign up here!)
Thursday, April 5
- 5 p.m. – Jiu-Jitsu Self Defense Demonstration, Johnson Center, Room 201
- Percent Night at Fuel Charleston, 211 Rutledge Avenue
Friday, April 6
- ALL DAY – Sexual Assault PSA
- 2 p.m. – Identify Unhealthy Relationships Workshop, presented by One Love, Maybank Hall, Room 117
- 7 p.m. – Cougars Baseball Game, Patriots Point
Monday, April 9
- ALL DAY: STI Testing, Stern Center Ballroom