The Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Center for Livable Communities at the College of Charleston will host a preview of the new PBS Series Black America Since MLK: And Still I Rise at 6:30 p.m. on Nov. 9, 2016.
The event, which is free and open to the public, takes place at Burke High School, located at 244 President St. in Charleston.
Following the preview will be a panel discussion on civil rights in Charleston featuring:
- Former Charleston Mayor Joe Riley
- The Honorable Lucille Whipper, former South Carolina state representative
- S.C. Community Loan Fund CEO Michelle Mapp
- Bernard Powers, professor of history at the College of Charleston
- Moderator Kendra Stewart, director of the Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Center and professor of political science