CisternYard News, the College of Charleston’s independent student-run news outlet, has been recognized as one of the state’s best collegiate media organizations.
The outlet took home 10 awards in the 2016 South Carolina Press Association’s collegiate news contest, including three first-place honors. The winners were announced at the South Carolina Press Association’s 2017 collegiate meeting on April 21, 2017, at Francis Marion University in Florence, South Carolina.
CisternYard News’ website was named the best in the state in the contest’s open division, which includes all student-run publications in the state. The outlet took home the rest of its hardware in the monthly and bi-monthly division.
Michael Wiser took home a first-place award for sports photography. Sam Oleksak’s history of Clyde the Cougar, meanwhile, won best sports story.
CisternYard News’ honorees include:
- Staff — Website, first place
- Staff — General excellence, second place
- Staff — Special section or edition, second place
- Courtney Eker — News story, second place
- Bradley Harrison — Arts and entertainment story, third place
- Sam Oleksak — Sports story, second place
- Mara McCloy — Series of articles, second place
- Kaleb Dill — Photograph, third place
- Michel Wiser — Sports photograph, first place; photo series or photo story, third place