Several streets on and near the College of Charleston campus will be closed for the 41st annual Cooper River Bridge Run this weekend.
The City of Charleston has announced a list of road and lane closures in downtown Charleston ahead of the 10K road race, which is expected to draw about 40,000 participants and as many as 25,000 onlookers on Saturday, April 7, 2018.
Pedestrian access will also be impacted around the finish line — on Meeting Street between Wentworth Street and Calhoun Street — on Saturday. Pedestrian entrances to Meeting Street will be located on Wentworth between King and Meeting streets as well as near the First Citizens Bank driveway on Calhoun Street. People who live and work along that stretch of Meeting Street — including students who live in residences across from TD Arena — will need to have an ID in order to pass through security checkpoints. The side streets along the west side of Meeting Street, including Burns Lane and George and Society streets, will not have direct pedestrian access during the race.
Also expect additional traffic through campus before and during the race as cars will be re-routed from King Street to St. Philip Street between Spring and Beaufain streets during the race.
And students who lock your bicycles up FYI: all bicycles at the following racks must be removed by 1 a.m. on Saturday, April 7:
- King St. / Woolfe St. – 468 King St
- King St. / Ann St. – 420 King St
- King St. / George St – 369 King St.
- King St. / Liberty St
Any bicycles not removed by that time will be taken to the Charleston Police Department at 180 Lockwood Blvd and owners may be subject to a fee.
Below is a full list of street closures:
Friday, April 6
- Hampton Park will close Friday, April 6 at 11 a.m. at all entrances until 7 p.m.
- George Street between Meeting and Anson Street will be closed at 10 p.m. on Friday, April 6, until 2 p.m. Saturday, April 7.
- Meeting Street between George and Wentworth will close Friday, April 6, at 10 p.m. The Northbound Lane of Meeting Street from George to Calhoun will remain open; the southbound lane of Meeting Street from George to Calhoun will be closed for traffic. Traffic will be re-opened on Saturday, April 7, following Finish Line cleanup, around 2 p.m.
Saturday, April 7
- Calhoun Street between Meeting to Anson Street will be closed to all traffic from 12 a.m. to 2 p.m.; residential limited traffic only until 4:30 a.m. when the road will be closed entirely.
- Calhoun Street, between King and East Bay Street, will be closed on Saturday, April 7, at 4:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. or CPD re-opens.
- George Street – East Bay Street to Anson Street from 4:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Anson Street – Calhoun to Laurens Street will be closed 4:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Alexander Street from Charlotte St to George Street from 4:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Charlotte Street – Elizabeth to Meeting Street- from 4:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Henrietta Street – Elizabeth to Meeting Street from 5 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Elizabeth Street – Calhoun to Charlotte Street- from 5 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Meeting Street from John to Wentworth will be closed @ 4:30 a.m. with early openings happening following the race participants leaving the route and the route /being cleaned (EST 11:30-2 p.m.). [Wentworth and Society will flow until 07:00 unless pedestrian traffic forces early closure]
- Arthur Ravenel Bridge Wonderway Lane will be closed by CPD at 6:30 a.m. to clear the bridge of pedestrian traffic until Bridge is re-opened following the race.
- Race Route and support streets will be closed at 7:00 a.m. until the participants are finished and the roadways are cleaned (11:30-12:00) the entire Arthur Ravenel Bridge will be closed until the participants have cleared the bridge, support staff removed, barricades removed, and the bridge cleaned of any debris.
- Roads that comprise the race route and the side streets approaching them will be closed at 7 a.m. until after the race, including:
- Coleman Boulevard between Houston Northcutt Boulevard south.
- The entire span of the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge.
- Meeting Street between Romney and Woolfe streets.
- Woolfe Street between Meeting and King streets.
- King Street between Cannon and Hassell streets.
- Wentworth Street between King and Meeting streets.
- Meeting Street between John and Hassell streets.
- Society Street between King and Meeting streets.
- George Street between King and Meeting streets.
- Hutson Street between King and Meeting streets.