Several streets on and near the College of Charleston campus will be closed for the 42nd annual Cooper River Bridge Run this weekend.
The City of Charleston has announced a list of road and lane closures in downtown Charleston ahead of the 10K road race, which is expected to draw about 40,000 participants and more than 30,000 onlookers on Saturday, April 6, 2019.
Pedestrian access will be impacted around the finish line – on Meeting Street between Wentworth Street and Calhoun Street – on Saturday. Pedestrian security/check point entrances to Meeting Street will be located on Wentworth between King and Meeting streets, as well as near the First Citizens Bank driveway on Calhoun Street. People who live and work along that stretch of Meeting Street – including students who live in residences across from TD Arena – will need to have an ID in order to pass through the security checkpoints. The side streets along the west side of Meeting Street, including Burns Lane and George and Society streets, will not have direct pedestrian access. To gain access, pedestrians will have to enter through the two pedestrian security/safety check points. The east side of Meeting Street will be accessible to residents and business owners only, with limited access at the security access points. Residents who live on Society, Wentworth or George streets – or any residence east of Meeting Street – should use Anson Street or East Bay Street to Calhoun Street for pedestrian access to the finish line on Meeting Street. To get to King Street, residents should use Hassell Street.
Also expect additional traffic through campus before and during the race as cars will be re-routed from King Street to St. Philip Street from Cannon Street or Spring and Beaufain streets during the race. Eastbound traffic on Cannon Street will turn left at King Street and flow north only. Traffic on Cannon Street will turn at St. Philip Street and flow north or south.
Below is a full list of street closures:
Friday, April 5
- Hampton Park will close at 1 p.m. at all entrances until 8 p.m.
- George Street between Meeting and Anson Street will be closed at 10 p.m. on Friday until 2 p.m. Saturday.
- Meeting Street between George and Wentworth will close at 10 p.m. on Friday. Traffic will re-open on Saturday following finish line cleanup, around 2 p.m. Society and Wentworth streets will remain open.
Saturday, April 6
- Calhoun Street between Meeting to Anson Street will be closed to all traffic from 12 a.m. to 2 p.m.; residential limited traffic only until 4:30 a.m., when the road will be closed entirely.
- Calhoun Street between King and East Bay Street will be closed at 4:30 a.m. until 2 p.m., or until CPD re-opens.
- George Street – East Bay Street to Anson Street will be closed from 4:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Anson Street – Calhoun to Society streets will be closed from 4:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Alexander Street from Charlotte to George streets will be closed from 4:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Charlotte Street – Elizabeth to Meeting streets will be closed from 4:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Henrietta Street – Elizabeth to Meeting streets will be closed from 4:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Elizabeth Street – Calhoun to Charlotte streets will be closed from 4:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Meeting Street from John to Wentworth streets will be closed at 4:30 a.m. until 2 p.m., or until CPD re-opens. (Wentworth and Society streets will remain open until 7 a.m. unless pedestrian traffic forces an early closure.)
- Arthur Ravenel Bridge Wonderway Lane will be closed at 6:30 a.m. to clear the bridge of pedestrian traffic until the Bridge is re-opened following the race.
- Race route and support streets will be closed at 7 a.m. until the participants are finished and the roadways are cleaned (11:30 a.m.–12 p.m.). The entire Arthur Ravenel Bridge will be closed until the participants and support staff have cleared the bridge and barricades have been removed and the bridge is cleaned of any debris.
- Roads that comprise the race route and the side streets approaching the route will be closed at 7 a.m. until after the race, including:
- Coleman Boulevard between Houston Northcutt Boulevard south through to the Ravenel Bridge
- The entire span of the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge
- Meeting Street between Romney and Woolfe streets, and John and Hassell streets
- Woolfe Street between Meeting and King streets
- King Street between Cannon and Hassell streets
- Wentworth Street between King and Meeting streets
- Society Street between King and Meeting streets
- George Street between King and Meeting streets
- Hutson Street between King and Meeting streets