The College of Charleston is implementing a new clear bag policy for Spring Commencement on May 10 and 11, 2019.
Since this is the first time the policy will be in effect for CofC graduation, the College is urging graduates and their guests to be aware of the specific restrictions surrounding what can and cannot be brought into Cistern Yard for the ceremonies.
The policy, which was first implemented for ticketed athletic events in TD Arena in November, 2018, is intended to expedite entry and provide a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors.
Only the following four types of bags will be allowed into the commencement ceremonies.
- Clear plastic, vinyl or PVC bags that do not exceed 12″ x 6″ x 12″. A logo no larger than 4.5″ x 3.4″ can be displayed on one side of a permissible clear bag.
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar)
- Small clutch bags no larger than 4.5″ x 6.5″ – approximately the size of a hand, with or without a handle or strap
- Medically necessary items (after proper inspection)
The College of Charleston will be selling CofC-branded clear bags for $10.98 at the College Bookstore (160 Calhoun St.), College Corner (327 King St.) and on George Street outside Porters Lodge.
The following types of bags will not be allowed into Cistern Yard for commencement ceremonies. Guests with a prohibited bag will not be permitted inside the venue, and will need to return any prohibited bags to their vehicles and transfer their belongings to an approved clear plastic bag before entering the venue.
Prohibited Bags (include, but are not limited to)
- Purses larger than a clutch bag
- Camera Bags
- Fanny Packs
- Cinch/Drawstring Bags
- Luggage of any kind
- Computer Bags
- Diaper Bags
- Binocular Cases
- Non-approved seat cushions, which include large traditional seat cushions that have pockets, zippers, compartments or covers
In addition, a number of specific items are prohibited and will not be allowed into Cistern Yard.
- Purses larger than a clutch bag (4.5″ x 6.5″), briefcases, backpacks, and cinch bags of any kind, fanny packs, luggage of any kind, computer bags/cases, camera bags/cases, binocular bags/cases or any bag larger than the permissible size (12″ x 6″ x 12″)
- Coolers, thermoses, cups, bottles, cans, flasks
- Food of any kind
- Video cameras, tripods, recording devices, detachable camera lenses over 6″, selfie sticks
- Weapons/Concealed Weapons
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Containers of any kind
- Aerosol and Spray Cans
- Mace/Pepper Spray
- Animals (except service animals)
- Laser lights, Strobe Lights and Pointers
- Irritants such as artificial noisemakers
- Inflatables (beach balls, etc.)
- Flags and Flagpoles, unauthorized banners or posters
- Illegal Drugs
- Masks of any kind
Guests can continue to carry permitted items in their pockets and/or hands such as keys, phones, wallets, makeup, etc.
For more information on the clear bag policy and answers to frequently asked questions, visit the commencement webpage.