With final exams for the spring 2020 semester on the horizon, College of Charleston President Andrew T. Hsu wanted to offer students some songs for success with the following campus message on Thursday, April 23, 2020:
Dear Campus Community:
Happy reading day! Even though we may be separated and all practicing social distancing as best we can, it is vital that we, as a community of scholars, still push ourselves to learn, to do our best and dream out loud. The world needs us more than ever!
I hope this playlist of songs will provide a nearly two-hour soundtrack for you right now and help to keep you focused on studying and preparing for your exams.
RELATED: Listen to President Hsu’s Spring 2020 – Finals (Dream Out Loud Mix) Playlist on Spotify.
These 25 songs were recommended to me by our students, faculty, staff and my daughters – of course, I snuck some of my classical favorites in here as well! This playlist has a wide range of music representing the variety and eclectic tastes of our wonderful campus community. There are songs of high energy, relaxation and several songs written and performed by our talented students and alumni.
As always, please send me your recommendations so that I can include them in future playlists.
Good luck in your preparations, study hard and finish strong! Go Cougars!
Andrew T. Hsu, Ph.D.
College of Charleston
Spring 2020 – Finals (Dream Out Loud Mix) Playlist
- “Save Your Love” by Kayshawn [CofC student Kayshawn McCoy’s beautiful song about unrequited love.]
- “Something Good” by alt-J
- “Sirena” by Sin Bandera
- “Hotel California” by Eagles
- “Chicken Fried” by Zac Brown Band
- “Gibraltar” by Beirut
- “Cool Breeze” by Long Miles [CofC alumni band that captures the feeling of summer.]
- “New Soul” by Yael Naim
- “I Only Have Eyes for You” by Louis Armstrong
- “Everything Is Possible Now” by Clouds and Thorns
- “Soul Makossa” by Manu Dibango
- Sunshine’ by Mon Floral [CofC student Emauri Singletary’s very relaxing instrumental piece.]
- “Bendita Tu Luz” by Maná
- “O mio babbino caro” by Anna Netrebko, performing from Puccini’s Gianni Schicchi
- “Hear the Kid Out” by Iguana [When this track plays, step away from your book or screen and just jump around for a good stress reliever.]
- “I Am” by AWOLNATION
- “Reckless Revolution” by Taylor Moore [CofC alumnus Taylor Moore ’07 wrote this track based on his College experience for a CofC Magazine project in 2011.]
- “Level of Concern” by Twenty One Pilots
- “Islands in the Stream” by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers
- “Auto-Happy” by Slow Runner [from the band of CofC alumnus Michael Flynn ’99]
- “Tan Buena” by Gente De Zona and Mau y Ricky
- “Bang Bang” by will.i.am [Note the sample of “The Charleston” jazz song.]
- “Beyond the Sea” by Bobby Darin
- “Dreams” by Grace Joyner [performed by CofC alumna Amber Grace Joyner ’13]
- Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Op. 125 IV: Finale by Beethoven [We all need a little “Ode to Joy” to put us in the right frame of mind!]