If you hate talking on the phone, you’re in the right place. Between Zoom, Microsoft Teams and the unified multimedia communications available through the College’s Segra Unify software (not to mention apps like FaceTime and Google Duo), faculty and staff at the College of Charleston never have to pick up the phone again!
Here are three ways you can use your computer to hang up the phone for good!
With the College’s Segra Unify software – faculty and staff may use their computers to make and receive calls to/from their CofC phone numbers, whether they’re on campus or working remotely. Just like Zoom and Teams, the software uses your computer’s microphone and speakers for easy hands-free communication!
Plus, with the Segra Unify app, you can use your iPhone or Android device to send and receive calls to/from your CofC phone number!
For more information about installing and operating the Segra Unify app, check out the Division of Information Technology (IT) Knowledge Base article.
Zoom can both be used just like a phone: Simply invite one or more person to a Zoom call, and it will ring on the recipients’ computer or mobile device. It’s a great way to make an ad hoc conference call. Here’s how:
- Sign into Zoom and, from Home, click on the New Meeting button.
- From the Meeting menu, click Invite.
- Either type in the person(s) name in the field or click on the person(s) name in the listing.
- Once the recipient answers, the Zoom call commences.
Whether you’re using the web app or the desktop app, there are several ways to use Microsoft Teams like a phone, including the Calls, Chat and Calendar tools.
To talk using Calls, simply click on Calls on the left-hand side of the window and type a name and click on the contact.
To talk using Chat, open the specific team or team member you want to talk to and then click on the video or phone icon at the top right of the window. The members of the team will then be invited to the call.
To talk using Calendar, click on the Calendar on the left-hand side of the window and then click on “Meet now” at the top of the calendar window. Then click “Start meeting” and then “Join now.” Next:
- In the web app, click on the “Show participants” button on the bottom of the screen and then type the name(s) or phone number(s) of your contact(s).
- In the desktop app, click on “Add Participants” and then type the name/number of the person you want to invite in the box under People.
- You can also copy the meeting link and send it to your contact.
For more tips and tricks for using Segra Unify, Zoom or any of the Microsoft Office 365 apps, check out the IT Knowledge Base.