The College of Charleston is closing at 2 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 21, 2022, due to forecasted inclement weather. The following message, which was shared with the campus community, outlines the university’s schedule on Friday and potential impacts from winter weather:
Dear Campus Community,
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Watch for portions of southeast South Carolina, including the Charleston region, that will remain in effect from Friday afternoon (1/21) through Saturday morning (1/22).
Following the lead of Charleston County government, which will close at 2 p.m., Friday (1/21), the College is making the following adjustments to class formats, campus events, facilities and work schedules for Friday:
- The College will close all non-essential operations at 2 p.m. Friday (1/21). The College expects to resume normal business operations at 8:30 a.m. Monday (1/24).
- Prior to 2 p.m. on Friday, faculty members have discretion to move their classes and labs to a virtual environment. After 2 p.m., all in-person classes and labs must be conducted virtually or cancelled. Faculty will communicate these plans with their students, and students should be attentive to these communications.
- Division heads and supervisors should communicate with their teams regarding essential versus non-essential employees and work schedules for Friday before 2 p.m.
- Managers are encouraged to be flexible and work with their employees on the ability to take leave or work remotely on Friday prior to 2 p.m., if possible.
- Regarding campus dining halls, Fresh Food Company and Market 159 will both close at 7 p.m. Friday. On Saturday, Fresh Food Company will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Market 159 will be open from 1 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- Campus residence halls will remain open.
- Libraries will also close at 2 p.m. Friday. Addlestone Library will reopen at 12 p.m. Saturday (1/22).
- Stern Center and Campus Recreation Facilities will close at 2 p.m. Friday and will reopen at 12 p.m.
- All student activities and events will be cancelled after 2 m. on Friday and will resume at 12 p.m. on Saturday (1/22).
- The women’s basketball home game against Towson originally scheduled for 7 p.m. Friday will now take place at 2 p.m. Friday. The game will not be open to the public.
The winter storm is expected to produce freezing rain and ice accumulation of up to one-tenth of an inch that will create dangerous travel conditions, especially on elevated roadways such as bridges and overpasses. Power outages are also possible. Cold wind chills as low as 15 degrees early Saturday could result in hypothermia, if precautions are not taken.
The College’s administration remains in close contact with city, county and state emergency management officials and will update the campus community regarding any further adjustments to class and work schedules.
Please monitor local media and the National Weather Service for the latest forecasts.
–CofC Emergency Management Team