Although faculty and staff cannot be included as guests at this year’s Commencement, they may still get involved as volunteers. Faculty and staff volunteers are needed to help with setup, lineup and breakdown at the following Spring 2021 Commencement ceremonies:
- Thursday, May 6: 2 p.m. at Patriots Point – All seven schools
- Friday, May 7: 2 p.m. in the Cistern Yard – School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Friday, May 7: 6 p.m. in the Cistern Yard – Graduate School, School of Languages, Cultures, and World Affairs, School of Sciences and Mathematics
- Saturday, May 8: 9 a.m. in the Cistern Yard – School of Business
- Saturday, May 8: 1 p.m. in the Cistern Yard – School of the Arts, School of Education, Health, and Human Performance
- Sunday, May 9: Time TBD in the Cistern Yard – Makeup ceremony in case of inclement weather
Volunteers will work in 1-1.5–hour shifts throughout the morning, day and evening (depending on the ceremony) at either Patriots Point (Thursday) or the Cistern Yard (Friday–Sunday). Box meals are available on a first-come, first-serve basis to all volunteers.
To sign up for one or more shifts, and to see more details about the shift options, check out the Volunteers for Spring 2021 Commencement survey. As each shift fills, it will disappear from the survey.
Volunteering is a great way for faculty and staff to show their support for the Class of 2021 and to witness this extraordinary moment in the lives of these graduating seniors, who have worked so hard to “conquer and prevail” in spite of the pandemic. And, for those who volunteer for lineup duty, it’s a good way to see the graduates and wish them well.
Many thanks in advance to all who are willing to assist in the College’s Spring 2021 Commencement, which ultimately represents why we are all here.