The following message regarding changes to COVID-19 protocols for the spring 2022 semester was shared with the College of Charleston community on Friday, Jan. 7, 2022:
Welcome to Spring Semester 2022! As you prepare for the start of classes on Monday, January 10, we want you to be prepared for our COVID-19 prevention measures that will be in place as we continue to navigate the changing nature of the pandemic. We will revisit these measures regularly based on the spread of the virus. Updated information and resources are also available on the Back on the Bricks website.
Face masks must be worn inside all campus facilities unless actively eating or drinking. Limited exceptions are noted below.
Masks in Campus Recreation Facilities:
- Effective immediately, although face masks will not be required while engaging in any physical activity within our campus recreation centers, we will be reducing capacity as indicated below. These capacity limits will be posted and enforced in the recreation centers at all times.
- For the Johnson Gym, the Silcox Gym and the George Street Fitness Center, the maximum capacity will be 40 people.
- For J201 in the Johnson Center, the capacity will be 15 people.
- The multi-purpose room in the George Street Fitness Center will be limited to 10 people.
Masks in On-Campus Residential Facilities:
Face masks are not required for students when in their own residence hall or historic home rooms or suites. Masks are required in public spaces in the residence halls, including entrance areas, lobbies, hallways and lounges.
Guidance on Residence Hall Visitation:
The current guidelines on residence-hall visitation will continue to allow any currently enrolled CofC student to be signed into a residence hall as a guest. The current restriction on non-CofC student guests will remain in place.
Updated Guidance on Indoor Event Capacity:
Effective January 10, 2022, indoor events and meetings will be limited to 30 people or the fire-code capacity of the space (whichever is a smaller number) at all College-sponsored gatherings (on or off campus) for all non-academic meetings.
All other requirements for indoor gatherings remain in place as indicated:
- Face coverings are required, and social distancing is strongly encouraged.
- A non-student employee of the College must be present (in person or virtually) to help manage the event.
- Eating and drinking should be very limited. Food should be pre-packaged, and we encourage providing food and drink in a “to-go” format as guests leave the event.
- When possible and to minimize direct contact, events/gatherings should not include mingling or reception activities.
- Maintain a list of attendees in case follow-up is needed for contact-tracing purposes.
- NOTE: Athletics Facilities and Sottile Theatre will manage their own gathering policies.
- Limited exceptions to the indoor policy may be considered through completion of the request form.
Guidance on Outdoor Event Capacity:
Effective January 10, 2022, gatherings in outdoor spaces should adhere to the fire-code capacity of the space at all College-sponsored gatherings (on or off campus) for all non-academic meetings. All other requirements noted above for indoor gatherings will apply to outdoor gatherings as well and face coverings are strongly encouraged.
We appreciate your support and continued understanding as we all work to maintain in-person experiences that are so important to academic and student life.
CofC COVID-19 Leadership Team